10 June 2014

Drink of the Week #2: Tropical Jam Smash

When I think of summer cocktails I think of sitting on a beach, bare feet in the sand, with a tropical cocktail (umbrella included) in my hand.  Unfortunately, we have no beaches where I live; but at the very least I can 'pretend' I am at the beach by bringing the flavors of paradise into my home.  

I really do love tropical rum drinks but I steer clear of them because of the calorie and sugar content.  Wanting desperately to bring a little bit of vacation into my life I decided to challenge myself to create a lower calorie rum drink---and I did just that.
The base flavor of the drink was the easy part, I chose a seasonal berry that was on sale, blackberries, and muddled them with fresh mint from my backyard, plus a lime.  Of course adding silver rum came next, but what other liquid could I use to add flavor- a bit of tropical- and not a lot of calories?  I would not think of Pineapple Juice right off the bat, but it sounded so dang delicious.  So, I went on a scavenger hunt for 100% juice, no artificial additives, no added sugar, Pineapple Juice.  I finally succeeded at Sprouts in the organic juice aisle.  Perfect!  
Tropical Jam Smash
  • 10(ish) fresh blackberries
  • 5(ish) fresh mint leaves
  • 1 whole lime, juiced
  • Quality, Silver Rum
  • Organic 100% Juice Pineapple Juice 
  • Beverage Umbrella, Not Included 
  1. In a large Boston Shaker muddle the blackberries with the mint and lime juice until all the berries are successfully smashed.  
  2. Add 2oz of Rum and 4oz of Pineapple Juice.  Shake.
  3. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer to remove all the seeds and pulp from the blackberries (they get stuck in your teeth if you leave them in the drink).
  4. Return the mixture to the Boston Shaker with ice and shake, shake, shake.
  5. Strain into an ice-filled mason jar (because you made jam....get it?).
  6. Top with a spritz of soda water (for a bit of bubbly) and garnish.
Careful, this Tropical Jam Smash is sneaky.  It is so tasty and refreshing that you drink it rather fast, then you realize you want another one, but then the rum starts to kick-in...

Cheers!


SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS