06 August 2014

Drink of the Week #8: Plantation

 I love basil and I am using it with everything right now...
salad dressing...pasta...cocktail? 
I have a beautiful basil plant that took off the past few months and is providing lovely large leaves.  I've known for a while that I was going to make one of my favorite cocktails with my favorite herb, and I finally did.
The base of the cocktail, which contributes to the flavor-bomb, are basil leaves muddled into submission with sugar and lime juice.  It basically turns into a sweetened pesto.  Combining a healthy dose of grapefruit juice with the basil accentuates the herbal flavor and mellows it out.  Of course you have to add the booze- gin and a small amount of orange liqueur.  

The Plantation is a fabulous summer sipper for front-porch swings and evenings by the pool.  

Plantation
  • 4-6 large basil leaves (plus one for garnish)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 oz lime juice
  • 1oz grapefruit juice 
  • 1 oz gin
  • 1/2 oz orange liqueur
  1. Combine the basil leaves, sugar, and lime juice in a Boston shaker.  Muddle until it becomes a paste-like consistency.
  2. Add a few ice cubes to the shaker.
  3. Add the gin, grapefruit juice, and orange liqueur.
  4. Shake until your hand gets cold.
  5. Strain into an ice-filled glass.
  6. Garnish with a fresh basil leave.

Cheers!


SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS