19 July 2014

Backyard Dinner Party

With all of our friends at the stage in their life where babies are popping-out left and right, it has become nearly impossible finding time to see each other.  Friends that we once saw a few days a week for years, have now become friends that we try our best to see every month or two.  It has been a hard transition, but so exciting at the same time. 

In an attempt to reunite with our wonderful friends the husband and myself decided to throw a casual dinner party in the backyard.  
I started planning two weeks in advance when I sent out the invite and got all 'yes' replies; I was so excited.  I knew it needed the look of a nice dinner party, but be comfortable, casual, and baby friendly at the same time.  I set-up a long table in the backyard and covered it with a simple tablecloth.  To create a 'runner' I used citronella candles (darn bugs) and beer/wine bottles as vases.  
My absolute favorite part was creating the menu cards.  A simple project of hand-writing the menu on miniature brown paper bags, and using laundry clips to attach them to napkins.  Not only was it cute, but it kept the menu and napkin from blowing away in the wind.  
As far as the menu went, most of it turned-out great.  I was going with simple dishes with sophisticated twists, and that would be nice in the hot weather (high 90's that evening).  I prepared everything a day in advance so I could hang out and participate in conversation; instead of being in the kitchen the entire time.  All I had to do was assemble plates as the night progressed and everything was ready to be served. 
  • Sweet Corn Gazpacho
  • Lemon Vinaigrette Salad with Shrimp
  • Fig Jam & Arugula Pizza with Chicken Sausage
  • S'mores Banana Ice Cream Pop
Starting the night with a cold soup was very refreshing, however the kick of Cayenne in the soup could have been toned down a notch, my mouth was on fire.  Thank goodness for wine to wash it down with.  My favorite course was actually the salad.  The Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette is a favorite of mine that I make quite often this Summer, and the addition of the shrimp, avocado, and parmesan created the perfect bite.   While my handmade-by-me pizza dough turned out perfect, the pizza, or should I say flatbread, was a little on the sweet side. Next time I will use less jam and add more cheese and sausage.  Oh, and of course the caramelized onions, yum.  The dish that I was most excited about was oh so good, however the 'popsicle' turned into ice cream in a bowl because it didn't exactly set in the mold.  Wine to the rescue again. 
Overall it was a successful, fun, and relaxing evening.  I wish our friends could have stayed longer, but babies had to be put to bed after all. 
Backyard dinner parties...fun to plan...easy to put together...a great way to spend time with friends.  

I cherish my friends dearly and wait anxiously for another dinner party, but until then, wine...more wine.  

SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS