02 July 2014

Drink of the Week #5: Watermelon Popmosa

Popmosa: a cocktail in which a Popsicle is submerged into a glass of champagne. 
___________________________________________________________________________________
Have you noticed that homemade Popsicles are everywhere right now?  It makes sense, it's summer, it's hot, and a Popsicle is the perfect cool down sweet treat.  The problem is that Popsicles are crammed full of sugar and calories.  However, when you make the Popsicles, you control what goes into it.
When I decided I was going to make my own Popsicles at home I knew I wanted it to be alcohol infused for my Drink of the Week.  I used a cheap mold, created a cocktail, and froze it.  
Big disappointment!  
For starters, because of the cheapness of the mold, I couldn't get the Popsicles out of the mold no matter what I did--- then they melted.  

Basically I tossed aside my cheap Popsicle maker and got lucky with this fabulous one from World Market for only $9. 
I still really wanted to make a Drink of the Week in Popsicle form, especially being the Fourth of July, so I did.  

I turned my Popsicles into this weeks Drink of the Week, The Watermelon Popmosa.   

 
Watermelon Popmosa
 yields 5 Popsicles

  • 2 cups cubed Watermelon
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
  • 1 lime, freshly squeezed
  • 1 bottle of Prosecco or Champagne 
 (An easy kids version can be made by using Sprite instead of Champagne). 
  1. Combine the watermelon, blueberries, agave nectar, and lime juice into a blender or food processor.  Pulse until smooth. 
  2. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer.
  3. Divide the liquid into five Popsicle molds, cover, insert Popsicle sticks, and freeze.  
  4. Wait 12-24 hours. 
  5. Carefully run warm water over the Popsicle mold for 30 seconds.
  6. Remove the Popsicles from the molds.
  7. Pour Champagne into a wine glass and dunk the Popsicle.
The small addition of blueberries adds an element of natural sweetness to the Popsicle, while the lime gives it a nice citrus kick.  Not only is the Watermelon Popmosa delightfully refreshing, but it is also a gorgeous accessory to hold on a pool float. 

Cheers & Happy Birthday 'Merica! 




SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS